Norfolk Federal Crime Lawyer
Get 100+ Years of Combined Experience On Your Side
Most crimes that occur in Virginia are considered state crimes, from DUI defense and drug possession to sex offenses and violent crimes like murder. Since state crimes are violations of state law, then they are handled in state court. On the other hand, if a state crime involves violating federal laws, then the federal government has jurisdiction over such offenses. Federal charges are much more serious, and a conviction can result in harsher penalties, including a long sentence in federal prison.
Contact Our Federal Lawyers Near You
If you are being investigated by federal authorities or accused of serious federal charges, you need to hire a criminal defense lawyer who has defended clients facing complex cases in federal court. At Protogyrou Law, we have a team of legal experts who has handled thousands of cases in both state and federal courts throughout Virginia. Our Norfolk federal criminal defense attorneys understand what it takes to get the best possible results for our clients.
Here are several benefits of hiring our Norfolk federal crime lawyer:
- We have years of experience with defending against federal charges and understanding the complexities of the law.
- We are knowledgeable about trial proceedings and can work with you to develop a defense strategy that is tailored to your individual circumstances.
- We are familiar with prosecutors’ tactics and strategies used in federal cases which makes it easier to build a strong defense strategy.
- We can provide advice on potential consequences associated with pleading guilty or going to trial, helping you make informed decisions throughout the process.
- We have access to specialized resources like investigators or experts who may be able to make a difference in the outcome of your case.
- We can negotiate a favorable plea agreement that can help reduce or dismiss your charges, depending on your individual case.
- We can provide experienced legal counsel and guidance on your case from start to finish.
For a free initial consultation, contact us today at (757) 267-6611 to discuss your case with our legal team of federal lawyers. Serving Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News and the entire state of Virginia.
What is the Difference Between Federal & State Crimes?
Compared to state crimes, federal crimes fall under fewer classes and must have a federal or national interest at stake. These offenses are investigated by federal agencies, such as:
- the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI),
- the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA),
- and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS),
- and handled by federal prosecutors.
What is a Federal Crime?
Federal crimes generally consist of any offense involving:
- federal land or property (e.g., a federal bank, military base, or even a Native American reservation),
- a defendant that crosses state lines,
- criminal conduct that takes place in multiple states,
- as well as customs and immigration violations.
Types of Federal Crimes
Common types of federal crimes include:
- Drug trafficking
- White collar crimes
- Racketeering or organized crime (i.e., RICO)
- Tax evasion
- Mail or wire fraud
- Identity fraud
- Healthcare fraud
- Mortgage fraud
- Human trafficking
What are the Penalties for Federal Crimes?
As we mentioned before, a conviction is punishable by longer penalties compared to state penalties for similar crimes. Most notably, federal crimes can carry mandatory minimum terms in federal prison, rather than a state penitentiary or county jail.
Obtain Aggressive & Personalized Legal Representation Today
Our legal team has represented high-profile clients since 1998. Our clients have included judges, chiefs of police, fire marshals, clerks of court, lawyers, state executives, magistrates, prosecutors, members of the House of Delegates, State Senators, State Troopers, US Marshals, police officers, State Bar counsel, Sheriffs, Constitutional officers, School Board members, City Council members, court reporters, bondsmen, sheriff deputies and their families. No matter what type of federal charge you face, look no further than Protogyrou Law for professional and responsive legal guidance.
Call (757) 267-6611 to let our federal attorneys defend you immediately and develop an effective defense strategy on your behalf.